Facts About Our Work
in El Salvador
Since 1996, Food For The Poor has been working in El Salvador through several partners, including New Horizons For The Poor Foundation, Fundacion Salvadorena para la Salud (Salvadorian Foundation for Health) and Caritas. There are 32 active projects in El Salvador, including: five agricultural, four educational, four animal husbandry, seven community development and two women empowerment projects.
- We have built 689 housing units
- Food For The Poor works with 10 orphanages in El Salvador
- More than 15 water projects have been constructed
More About Our Work
Food For The Poor also serves El Salvador through donations of goods. Shipments to El Salvador include food, medicine, healthcare items, shoes, clothing, furniture, building materials and educational supplies.
- In 2017, Food For The Poor shipped 203 tractor-trailer loads of aid to the country.
- Food For The Poor has built 689 housing units, providing the poor with safe and sturdy shelter.
- There are four active housing projects that will benefit more than 90 families. Each housing project will include an animal husbandry program to provide an income, a sanitation project to benefit 18 families and an aquaponics-hydroponic greenhouse, which will provide families with nourishment and another source of income.
- There are several aquaculture projects in progress in different regions of the country. All are meant to provide a source of accessible and nutritious food for the residents, as well as offer a self-sustaining source of income for the communities.
- El Salvador has more than 15 water projects, which supply clean water through filtration and other water distribution systems.
- Food For The Poor donors work with 10 orphanages to sponsor 355 children as part of the Angels Of Hope program.
- Several projects are geared toward the production of protein-rich foods such as chickens, laying hens, goats and Pelibuey sheep. These high-protein food sources are important in a population where malnutrition is a common threat.
- Food For The Poor’s Technical Center in El Salvador runs in partnership with Nuevo Horizontes Para Los Pobres (FUNHOPO). Since 1996, Food For The Poor has shipped more than 46 containers of computer components to the technical center.